Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Thoughts

It occurred to me as I rode around on the mower yesterday evening that I’m in a particularly “happy phase” of life right about now.


Granted, this could be because the sun finally broke out and the rain let up, and that spring finally seems to be here, which leads to summer. But I think it is more than that.


I mulled it over, while riding in circles cutting the grass, that most of this “happy phase” is due to simply making a few changes in the past few months. I have written before about being a bit stuck in a rut. Well, the things I’ve done since the first of this year have surely broken the pattern.


Then I got to thinking: what is it, specifically, that makes me really happy? Sort of making a mental list, I was. Of course at the top are family and friends. Relationship. I have a fantastic husband whom I love and adore, great kids who crack me up and a little sweet pea to hug. I have awesome “old” friends who have known me, some for 30+ years, some for 5-10 years. Then there is a “new” group that pretty recently started and that is exciting. But I’m not talking necessarily about that type of “happy” causing things, because really unless you have no soul, people you love, and being loved, makes everyone happy.


What I’m talking about are little things that make ME happy that might or might not make someone else feel the joy.


So here are a few things that I thought up, in no particular order. I reserve the right to add or subtract to my list at any given time. LOL


  • PEDICURES (and other stuff like that). I guess some might consider them a luxury but when you aren’t eating out every day or drinking Big Gulps, you can put that money to something nice for yourself! I love the pampering feeling of soft feet, or seeing that my hands are pretty and groomed nicely. I must soon try a massage… I’ve never had one and I bet it is sheer heaven.

  • A GOOD BOOK. I love being drawn into a good story, whether it is a comedy, romance, non-fiction or suspenseful page-turner. Doesn’t matter as long as it holds my interest. It is like having a movie played in my head. I also love cookbooks and cooking magazines – I love to read the recipes and ideas (although I seldom follow one word by word).

  • MOVIE PREVIEWS. Yes I like the actual movie too, but I just love being in the dark theater and seeing that green “This preview has been rated….” Screen come on. It is like opening a present: what is it going to be? Scary? A love story? Action/adventure? I wonder sometimes if I’m the only person who cries at previews and not just at the movie?

  • THE PATIO (and related things). Years ago we had a swing hanging in the oak tree in our front yard. I loved that thing and would sit in it for hours. I painted a bunch of flower pots and planted them with all sorts of pretty things. Sort of made a little paradise in the front yard to hang out in – and we did and it was good. Somehow, for some reason, I just stopped doing that and I realize now that I miss it. This past fall, we built a rock patio in the backyard corner (OK Jimmy built it, I helped) and for a while I wondered if it was a mistake because it just sat there. Well duh, it was cold weather! Now it is warming up and the sun is shining (some days, at least) and YES it was a GREAT idea. I’m gearing up to plant some pots and really pretty it up. It will be a wonderful place for relaxing, visiting or just to read one of those good books or magazines I enjoy. ;)

  • A REALLY GOOD MEAL. I am a foodie, I admit it. I will never be one of those types who simply views food as “fuel for the body”. Nope. A really good quality meal involves all of the senses and should be enjoyed – savored, even. Now, my definition of “good quality” has changed over the years and that is a good thing for me, but I realize that too is an individual perception. For me, the best meals involve FRESH ingredients, lots of color, depth of tastes…. I am just as likely to go nuts over a big salad of organic baby greens with vinaigrette as I am an exquisitely created tiramisu. One thing is for sure: the $1 menu is NOT involved here. I dream of being a judge on Iron Chef America. *sigh*

  • A REALLY GREAT SONG. It might be a melody, or a harmony, but most times what makes me happiest are really well written lyrics. A great song should read like poetry. There are far too many to name them all. The one I have in heavy rotation for now is Eva Cassidy singing “Songbird”. Google it. You’ll love it.

  • MINI VACATIONS. Any vacation makes me happy but I love to spread my vacation days out across the calendar and take “mini-vacays” here and there. A sprinkling of 3 or 4 day weekends thru the course of the year is better than one week-long chunk spent in one place. At least that is what I think.

That’s enough of mine for now. My question is: what are YOURS? Leave a comment and tell me. Who knows, you may come up with something I want to add to MY list ;)