Monday, May 01, 2006

'Twas a night of noise and excitement....

Thursday dragged by like the day before your birthday, or the day before Christmas. I was all packed and ready to leave by noon, I just had the afternoon to get thru. Soon enough, 5:00pm came and I shot out the door like a bullet! I hit the road and headed straight for Llano to get Kathy. Got there, Kathy was ready so we went to the potty and hit the road again. The ride to Austin from her house is only like 1.5 hours but the time just flew because we were talking and laughing the entire time. We got out to the airport and chose a Super 8 motel to stay the night in (our flight left the next morning at 6:50am). We checked in, waited for Heather to find us, then the three of us went in search of dinner.

We meant to go to Olive Garden but they had a line of people waiting for tables that stretched out the door. We drove around a little more in the shopping center and came across Pei Wei. I'd never heard of it, I thought Heather was suggesting we eat at "PayWay" which sounded like a dollar store to me. But no -- it's an Asian diner. Heather raved about it, so we said "sure" and went in. The menu had things on it that I recognized and things I didn't. We decided to let Heather order for us, since she had been before. We had:
Spring rolls with this spicy/sweet dipping sauce (awesome!)
chicken lettuce wraps (nice and fresh, with crisp lettuce -- not as good as the spring rolls tho)
Kung pao with beef (OMG....... OMG OMG SO GOOD)
Pad thai with tofu (um...... yuck)

We ate and talked some more, the conversation flowing lively and easy, as it would with three gals who have known each other 20+ years. No topic is off limits. Literally. Even when you are hearing things about your friends that you wish could be off limits. hahahaha I won't divulge any information, I'll just say one of the topics was: what kind of sex do you prefer: (A) Vanilla, (B) Vanilla with an occasional swirl of chocolate and sprinkles or (c) Chunky Monkey with coconut, M&M's, gummy worms, chocolate sauce, whipped cream and a cherry on top?

We each got a fortune cookie. Mine said "You will have an enjoyable adventure" or something very similar. We took it as a great sign of things to come.

Back to the hotel. Kathy & I washed our hair and generally did everything we could to speed up the morning process, since we were leaving out early. We needed to go to sleep, but we were like that Disney commercial where the kids are giggling and the mom tells them to go to sleep and the little boy says, "We're too excited to sleep!" I did manage to fall asleep finally. However, it wasn't long before I was awoken by "Night of the Nostrils" also known as "Symphony of Snores". Heather started, then Kathy joined in. At one point, Heather's just got louder and louder, as if someone was turning up the volume knob on her sinuses. I started to wonder just HOW LOUD could she get when -- suddenly! -- she stopped completely. I thought, "Heather died. Great now I can sleep!" haha I'm just kidding - I never sleep well when I'm away from home anyway. Add the excitement of the trip to that and it's a wonder I slept the few hours that I did. Kathy had it worse than me. She says she sat up most of the night wondering if she could turn on the TV without bothering anyone. I'm not sure she's telling the truth because I heard her sounding like a goose with bronchitis, but.... whatever. :o)

Our wake-up call came at 4:45am, but we were really already awake. We got ready, made sure we had everything we needed and headed for the airport to check in and wait for our flight. The adventure was about to begin!!! .........................................